- Check out several of the “Five Little Monkey” books by Eileen Christelow from your library and READ them!
- Five Little Monkeys Swinging From a Tree …
- Use clipart to print five monkeys, an alligator and a tree (I love using Microsoft Clipart)
- or DOWNLOAD this FREE zoo packet from Oopsey Daisy. Inside is a great page (pg. 21-24) of cute clipart and the five little monkeys poem to print!
- Use your clipart to recite the poem/song letting your preschooler move Mr. Alligator and subtract the monkeys from the tree.
Five little monkeys swinging in the tree.
Teasing Mr. Alligator, “Can’t catch me!”
Along comes Mr. Alligator, quiet as can be
And SNAPS that monkey right out of that tree.
(Continue with four little monkeys, three little monkeys, two little monkeys and one little monkey removing one monkey from the tree each time.)
- Another fun way to Snap That Monkey Right out of That Tree can be found in my Alligator post here.
- Play a Monkey Race game ...
- Use 2" strips of brown construction paper to make a long tree truck (as long or short as you want your game).
- Add green leaves to the top of the tree.
- Draw horizontal lines all the way up the truck, making game spaces & number them … 1, 2, 3, 4, 5….
- We used monkey stickers for game pieces & put banana stickers up in the leaves.
- Roll a dice to move the monkeys up to the bananas.
- Go to the zoo & see the monkeys.
- Play Monkey See, Monkey Do
- Stand facing your partner.
- One partner starts to move slowly (raise one foot, put both arms straight out, make a silly face)
- The other partner mirrors everything he does.
Snack Ideas: Bananas! or Monkey Bread (recipe here)