We had preschool with friends again today! Today was my turn, so we used one of my favorite winter time books…
We actually read this one year round because we love it so much. We also have these other two and my kids love them just as much…
Today we used a Snowman theme and focused on Shapes!
- Puzzles … as the kids come, it’s always fun to have an activity for them to do together. Today I just pulled out several wooden puzzles that they did at the table. Then we can say hi to everybody and chat for a minute before we start!
- Read “Snowmen at Night” by Caralyn & Mark Buehner. I love the illustrations in this book and the rhymes are so fun!
- Snowman Shapes … this worked out well and the kids did a great job! I wish I would have taken a picture of all of them together. They all turned out different, but so cute!
- Beforehand, cut out the shapes:
- 3 white circles (small, medium & large)
- 1 black oval (bottom of top hat)
- 1 black square (top of top hat)
- 1 orange triangle (carrot nose)
- 2 brown rectangles (twig arms)
- “find the biggest white circle”
- “glue the black square on top”
- “glue your orange triangle for his carrot nose!”
- Sing “Once There Was a Snowman” and do the actions. Words and music here!
- Paint Bags … We practiced drawing shapes! Simple & worked great.
- Use a gallon size Ziploc freezer bag (I used Target brand)
- Pour a good sized blob of paint in the bag. I used Crayola washable paints. I’m guessing any paint would work.
- Carefully squeeze the air out of the bag and seal. You can also tape the opening closed. We didn’t have any problems.
- Squish the paint around so it fills the bag.
- Use a Q-tip or fingers to draw shapes, letters or pictures!
- To “erase” use your hand to smooth the paint.
- NOTE: my friend’s comment was, “This is my kind of painting!” Seriously, it’s fun, but there is no mess!!
- Melted Snowman S’mores
- We put these together for the kids to take home and make with their moms.
- Use a sandwich-sized ziploc baggie.
- Place 4 graham cracker squares, 2 large marshmallows, 1 small chocolate bar.
- Print, cut out & fold the “Melted Snowman S’mores” topper. Click the picture to download the topper!
- Staple it to the top of the bag!
Then the snowman games begin:
- Line the kids up at one end of the room.
- Give them an empty ziploc baggie.
- Put a bowl of marshmallows and a bowl of chocolate bars at the other end of the room.
- Take turns racing down to get a marshmallow, put it in their bag, race back and sit down.
- Repeat to get a chocolate bar, then another marshmallow (we added the graham crackers later)
- Cheer each other on during your snowman race!
- Shape Snacks … Find snacks in several shapes. We had circle crackers, triangle Bugles, square cheese slices and rectangle fruit strips. Mmm.