Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Displaying the Alphabet & Preschool Journals

Since my oldest preschooler will be five in November and this will be my third year doing preschool with him, I wanted to change things up a bit this year. This is what we’ve done for the past several years … and it’s been GREAT!

DSC02555

I wanted a more colorful alphabet strip that didn’t take up so much wall space and I wanted to do our weekly alphabet letters a little differently. So, this is what we are doing this year!

DSC00623DSC00626

This kids love the change and I love how simple and colorful it is. I had been looking for a colorful and simple set of ABC flashcards … and found these at the dollar store of all places.

    1. I just hung two pieces of yarn. One is a little longer and the other is shorter and hung just behind the first.
    2. Then simply clip each letter on with clothespins.
    3. TIP: I did have a little discussion with my boys that the letters are not targets for balls or dart guns. Then again, playing ABC dart practice might be a fun thing to do one of these weeks Smile

DSC00675DSC00676DSC00738

Preschool Journals … we are trying this out this year. So far, so good!

    1. I gave each of my kids their own composition book.
    2. Decorate the front! Just glue blank cardstock to the front and back and let the kids personalize their journals with crayons, markers and stickers.
    3. Each day they grab their preschool box and journal.
    4. We sing our songs, say a prayer, read our book, then open our journals.
      • the kids write their name
      • we practice writing our letter for that week – upper and lowercase
      • copy our theme (animal, ant, apple) from a book we’ve read
      • draw a picture and/or put stickers on the page.
    5. My goals are:
      • letter writing practice
      • an organized & compact way to keep track of our preschool days

So far I’m really pleased. The kids love their journals and enjoy doing their page each day. I love that we can see everything we’ve done, but then can close the book and put them away. Oh … and none of the ABCs have been used for target practice yet Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Feel free to leave a link if you've done any of these activities with your kids. I'd love to visit your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...