- Missing Vehicle Game
- Make 3 copies of a boat, car, airplane and train clipart on 3 different colors of cardstock. Cut them out.
- Lay the cards on the floor with all red in the first row, all yellow in the second, all blue in the third.
- Make sure each column has the same vehicle (all the boats in the first column, cars in the second column...).
- Have the kids describe what they see & guide them to notice the rows are the same color & the columns are the same picture.
- Have the kids cover their eyes while you remove one of the cards.
- Help them identify the missing card by naming the color & the picture. Try it again!
- Vehicle Sorting
- Use the same vehicle cards from above & place them in a bag.
- Make 2 circles on the floor with yard (or use hoola hoops).
- Label the circles with tags that say "boats" & "not boats".
- Let the kids take one card from the bag & identify which circle it goes in. Continue with all the cards.
- Repeat by re-labeling the circles with different categories (red/not red, planes/not planes). Great for sorting skills!
- Construction Vehicle Counting
- Make several copies of 3 different construction vehicles. Just click on the images above if you’d like to use those!
- Draw a simple construction background on a large sheet of paper.
- Place a counting key in the bottom corner. Example:
- __ bulldozers
- __ steamrollers
- __ dump trucks
- __ cement mixers
- Introduce the name of each vehicle, then let the kids tape them to the construction site.
- When all cards are attached, count the number of each vehicle and write it in the key (one of them should be zero!)
- Show them that there are no steamrollers and they should write 0 in the steamroller place.
- Vehicles Rhyme Game
- Print out pictures of four different construction vehicles on cardstock.
- Cut them out and laminate for durability.
- Repeat the following rhyme and let the kids remove a vehicle each time...
[Four] big machines at the construction site
Worked, worked, worked with all [their] might!
The foreman called the [dump truck] away.
Then [three] big machines were left that day.
Snack Idea: Edible Excavators
- Cook ground beef with mild taco seasoning.
- Read a book about excavators & show how it uses its bucket to dig holes in the ground.
- Give the kids corn chip scoops (buckets) and have them scoop five loads of dirt (ground beef) into their bowl.
- Give them a few extra scoops to eat their dirt.