Friday, January 24, 2014

O is for Outer Space

O is for Outer Space

To be honest, I’m usually scrambling to get preschool ready in the morning. Our baby just turned 6-months-old and I’m just starting to feel like I’m getting life under control. Smile The main reason I started this blog was to have a place for me to keep my preschool plans and ideas just for times like this. I was able to put a few ideas together, grab a book from the bookshelf, scissors, gluesticks and we were ready to go. So, here is what we pulled off today …

P1243766

  • Astronaut Balloons … I gave these to the kids while I finished getting some things ready. Astronauts float in outer space, so we taped an astronaut clipart to a balloon so the kids could bop it and help him float around the house.
    1. Print your favorite astronaut clipart.
    2. Have your preschooler cut it out.
    3. Tape it (I used packing tape) to the balloon.
    4. Bop it!
  • Sing a few songs … we have been starting off with a couple of fun songs. Today it was “The Wheels on the Bus”.

P1243730

  • Read “Me and My Place in Space ” by Joan Sweeney … Show the kids the cover of the book and ask them what they know about Outer Space.

P1243725

  • Outer Space Pictures… this was our big project for the day. They worked out really well.
    1. Name Rockets
      • Cut out squares in several colors. Ours were 2½” x 2½”
      • Cut out triangles for the wings and one for the nose of the rocket.
      • Have the kids count how many letters are in their name and pick out that many squares.
      • Write one letter of their name on each square. My 4-year-old wrote her own name. I wrote my 2-year-old’s name.
      • Glue the name squares vertically on a large piece of black paper (I taped 2 pieces of black cardstock together). Add the wings and the nose. Resist the urge to straighten everything for them SmileP1243726
    2. Planets & Stars
      • Print all of the planet images from The Center for Science Education at UC Berkeley here.
      • Have the kids cut out each of the planets and glue them onto their space picture. My 4-year-old did the cutting all by herself, but got tired and left three planets off. Totally fine. I cut my 2-year-old’s planets out and she glued them on.
    3. Add STAR STICKERS! … Amazon has several kinds available here.P1243722
    4. Write with white crayon!
      • My kids are always amazed when the white crayons actually “work” Smile
      • Give them a white crayon and let them see how it shows up so bright on the black paper. They can write their name or circle the stars (to practice writing Os!)

P1243735P1243737

  • Build Rockets!
    1. We got several sets of Magformers for Christmas. I can’t say enough good about them. My 2, 4, 6, and 9-year-old all LOVE them. My husband and I can play with them for hours. Even the baby loves to chew on them Smile They have magnets inside the plastic that snap together easily. We’ve build some pretty neat creations.
    2. They are a little expensive, but since they’ve been pulled out every single day since Christmas, I can see them being a favorite for a long time.
    3. Duplo blocks or wooden blocks would also work to build rockets Smile

P1243744

  • Outer Space Lunch … this idea is compliments of my 4-year-old. I was going to make PB&J. She decided we needed Outer Space Rocket lunches. Definitely more fun Smile
    1. Rocket Body = graham crackers with PB inside
    2. Wings = cheese slices
    3. Rocket Boosters & Nose = fruit leather
    4. Windows = mini pepperonis
    5. Meteorites = blueberries

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments! Feel free to leave a link if you've done any of these activities with your kids. I'd love to visit your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...